Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Lonely Old Man - Part V


Tale #1 (continued)

Then the moment came.

George's team fell—quite literally—when Frances stepped on a mossy rock. She groped awkwardly about, somehow catching Robby's elbow and toppling him on her way down. "Forward!" was our cry as we rushed the enemy, loping through the water as well as our short legs were able. Some returned immediately to safety, but Sand pressed on, dodging attempted tags and tackles. I, having been freed from shore by this time, followed close behind. It was a miracle that kept me at his pace, and we both arrived unscathed at the white stone.

"Take it," I urged, glancing over my shoulder.

Sand flashed a grin and nodded. "Yes, little brother. But you take one too—another stone! Now run! That way!"

I understood right away. Lifting a light-colored stone from the crystal water, I gave a loud cry and splashed headlong into the hoard of foes turning towards me. The mission was mine, given by Sand in true confidence, and I was going to follow it to the letter. I would lead them astray and let him reach our base and so victory. Victory!

Big Thomas and Harold hit me together. I grunted and flew back, disappearing underwater for a moment. The fake white stone slipped from my grasp and seemed to roll across the water's surface before sinking away. Both sides froze, instantly realizing our scheme. Just then, a shout arose from downstream. There stood Sand, waist deep, holding the pure white stone above his head. Only feet before him and directly in front of our home water stood George, captain of the enemy.

I gasped. I tried to shout "go around!", but both teams forgot about each other and began yelling advice to their respective leader. Sand attempted two quick dashes, but the deeper water slowed him and George nearly caught him. Within seconds of loudly sending their advice, both teams started splashing towards the stalemate. Chaos reigned for several seconds; I tried to keep up but slipped and fell behind the entire group.

"Wait!"

Everyone stopped.

"Wait!" Sand cried again, this time even louder. "George and I will finish this! He will capture me or I will win the game!"

I regained my footing just in time to see him say these words and stride into deeper water. George said something I couldn't hear. He must have disapproved, because Sand retorted in a challenging tone and took another step. The section of river in which we played was the widest for miles—as I said before. And so, while we did battle in the shallows, the southern river bed was carved deep by the current.

"The boundary line goes from shore to shore," shouted Sand. The water now lapped at his chin. "If George doesn't follow me, I will win by the deeper way!"

I was pricked at that moment by a feeling of dread. But my own excitement and exclamations from the other children pushed it away. The only player to speak to Sand was George. This time, I easily heard his words, for he spoke them even louder than my brother's challenge.

"Sand, I won't chase you!" He struck the water with his fist. He hit with both fists when Sand continued. "Forget the game. You're over your head by now...you cannot win this way! Drop the white stone! Swim back!"

Sand shook his head vehemently and I watched as he bobbed with his face above water, apparently keeping afloat by kicking alone. The current, stronger in deeper river, carried him swiftly over our boundary line. A weak cheer came from our team, but the joy faltered as a wave washed over Sand's face. Immediately another swept over.

Then another.

And another.

And then he was gone.

I watched in disbelief as the river churned itself over and over and over again and my brother did not resurface. My stomach clenched inside and twisted into an unfathomable knot. I forgot to breath and felt lightheaded. My vision blurred horribly, though I don't know why. George loosed a terrible, raspy scream and splashed downstream. My eyes, though obscured, could not move from the place I had last seen Sand. He dropped the white stone and he's finding it now! He is coming back...we won! We won! We are the greatest team and he is coming back!  

"HE'S COMING BACK!"


No comments:

Post a Comment