Thursday, November 1, 2012

Respectfully yours, Me.


I am the fool of my generation.

I am grossly self possessed.

I am instinctive, brash, and impetuous.

I am the smoldering piece to a fiery puzzle of uneducated ideologies.

I am addicted to emotion's nicotine.

You are wise. You tell me these things. And they must be true, for you are the epitome of wisdom in society. You: the jewel of conformity. You: the perfect model of corporate common sense. You: the lovechild of uncontested authority and inherited prosperity.

The world you see is fixed. Not perfected of course, for there is always something or someone to hate in excess. Rather, you believe the world is a certain way because it is already that way. You are a businessman, grasping life with a glove of practicality, revolted if a risk or surprise manages to leak beneath its seams. The world is simple to you; it is terraced. Citizen must stand upon citizen, supporting the privileged few. These few will decide whom you decide to follow. These people you will obey without a thought otherwise. Not to mention consideration towards their viability or even their honesty! But of course, there is no sin there. It's simply the way things are.

You see the world in black and white.

You're afraid of taking a stand because it's not practical.

You label me a passionate fool. You attempt to dictate my opinion in the name of morality, hurling guilt into each excited stride of my personal ambitions. And you know what? Perhaps you're right. Perhaps the right choices are the ones made for me. Perhaps I am ignorant to statistics, and maybe swimming against the flow will eventually lead to a horrific drowning. Perhaps all of that is true, thereby making me a selfish idiot. But even if that is the case...at least I'm not a societal sheep. At least my voice isn't lost in the roar of everyone else saying the exact same thing. 

I am independent.

I am me, by and with God.

Call me a fool.

I am not you.  

2 comments:

  1. We impractical fools! We'd rather drown going against that current than live our lives enslaved in the flock of conformity. How illogical. How much more tolerant. How free…

    Very thought provoking post, JD. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse,
    This post sent the cogs of my mind into high gear. I find your posts fresh, pointed, and inspiring. They never fail to make me stop and think.
    You inspired me so, I created my own blog (funny, but true) I wrote a post about our writing meeting. Give it a look if you have a moment.
    http://wordsinredink.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-meeting-about-writing.html
    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete